At Relativity, we make great software that helps users organize data, discover the truth, and act on it. Our product is used by more than 13,000 organizations around the world – in the cloud, on-premises, or both – to manage large volumes of data.
Here you can own your career in a community of values-driven people who help our customers around the world solve complex data challenges. If this sounds like the place for you, check out the details of this position below.
As an Advanced Software Engineer in Test at Relativity, based in Chicago, IL, you will drive customer confidence by assuring the quality of Relativity’s current and future software products. Contribute to a motivating environment that empowers teams and individuals to engineer QA efficiencies in practice, through process, and with effective tools/techniques.
The Software Engineer in Test is responsible for delivering results for Relativity by:
• Identifying and removing risks to quality for Relativity’s software products.
• Liaising between development and QA to bridge the knowledge gap between
product function and technical implementation.
• Contributing to an Agile team that solves complex challenges and builds working
The Software Engineer in Test performs the following functions, in addition to others, in the administration of his or her position:
• Drive the quality of Relativity’s software products in the following ways:
• Identify and resolve software inconsistencies, ambiguities and defects during
the design and implementation phase of software building.
• Design, code, and document automated test cases within a defined framework to
assure the quality of a functional domain.
• Translate existing manual regression test cases into automated tests.
• Assure automated regression test cases are integrated and passing in a nightly
• Carry out root cause analysis on defects to ensure fixes are happening in the right
• Work with senior QA members to communicate unacceptable risks to quality.
• Adhere to standard operating procedures and the collection of measures put in
place to ensure consistency and improvement in the way we test software.
• Contribute to the planning process to establish tasks and forecasts for work to be
• Ask the right questions, in the right way, at the right time to reduce the
introduction of quality risk.
• Be an ambassador for Agile QA by practicing principles such as TDD and ATDD
In addition to the above responsibilities, the Software Engineer in Test is expected
to display professionalism in the following ways:
• Maintain an attitude of commitment through outward display of willingness.
• Practice positive interactions - lean on encouragement in place of judgment.
• Impress responsibility on others by displaying ownership in tasks.
• Act in the interest of the overall team.
• Understand the needs of our customers.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science.
• 3 to 5 years designing and coding software for commercial-grade systems.
• At least 1 year writing software that tests software in an automated fashion.
• 0 to 2 years providing Software Quality Assurance for commercial-grade systems.
• 1+ years designing and coding software, preferably using C++, C#, Java or Python
• Strong knowledge of the Software Engineering and Quality Assurance discipline.
• Strong problem solving skills, independent thinking.
• Strong teamwork and partnering skills for cross-group collaboration.
• Ability to contribute to a motivating environment that instills accountability.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills for technical and non-technical
• Hands-on experience with the latest QA technologies related to their feature set or
Our software has more than 150,000 active users in more than 40 countries from organizations including the U.S. Department of Justice, more than 70 Fortune 100 companies, and more than 195 of the Am Law 200. We have grown significantly over the last several years and continue striving to build software that helps solve our customers’ toughest e-discovery and unstructured data challenges.
If you’re ready to grow with us, we’d love to hear from you.